DSC is one of the premier skating centers in the world. Our club has had an endearing and positive influence on generations of young people for 90 years. We have endured many challenges through the last century as a privately owned figure skating club (tough economies and the maintenance of aging infrastructure). The DSC Board of Directors has been heavily involved in the strategic planning process and examining the clubs strengths and weaknesses, as well as the opportunities and threats.
The Club is playing host to the United States Figure Skating Championships in January 2019 as the secondary venue. We will be holding the Novice, Intermediate, and Juvenile competition events at our Club. We want to make sure that we have the best ice for the U.S. Championships and a state of the art ice plant that will provide quality conditions for generations to come.
Our goal is to raise $1,000,000 for infrastructure and long overdue electrical systems replacement. Pledges can be spread over five years, any amount is appreciated. The Detroit Skating Club is a 501c3 Non-Profit Amateur Athletic Organization.
This is an urgent appeal for immediate help. The cold floor in C-rink reached a point that it needed to be completely renovated if we were to continue to use it. We have been able to finance the floor renovation itself, but we are unable to build out the new plant room or purchase the new ice making equipment specifically for C-rink. With the current budget constraints, the major means to fund this capital improvement is through private giving.
Positive Effects of a New Ice Plant
1) C rink cold floor system will run more efficiently and save energy with it’s own ice making plant. A shorter distance run of refrigerant between the cold floor and the plant will have a dramatic “positive” effect on lowering operating costs. The same can be said with the sub-soil frost prevention system.
2) It has been estimated that the cost savings associated with using a state of the art ice plant with new energy efficient machinery will cut utility costs by 25% annually.
3) There will be a dramatic effect on the control of the temperature with a new plant. We will be able to increase and decrease ice temperature quickly and easily. This is an essential benefit to our figure skating and hockey customers. Our increased control will allow us to decrease ice temperature for hockey ice and increase temperature for figure skating ice, within minutes instead of hours.
4) Air quality control will be dramatically increased with the dehumidification component of the new plant. The new air handling dehumidifier will draw in fresh air and replace stale air, while creating a healthier ambient temperature for figure skating and hockey athletes. A controlled low humidity environment allows the plant to operate more efficiently and improves the quality of the ice conditions.
5) By adding a new plant to the C rink we will be taking the load off of the existing ice plant which will extend the life of existing equipment while decreasing the “run time” of the existing systems.
Please consider a generous donation to help support our club’s facility. If you wish to donate, please click on the button below.
Here is how our campaign is doing so far: