Resident and Associate member volunteer policy
Volunteering at the Detroit Skating Club serves a vital purpose in continuing activities at our club such as test sessions, the used skate sale, Skate Detroit, Sunshine Skate and the beautification of our venue. It also creates a better sense of involvement and pride in your family’s second home.
Requirement per family: 12 volunteer hours per year
Effective for the 2023-2024 skating season, you will have the following options at membership renewal:
- Select $600 ($50/volunteer hour) pay out option per family (located under the donation tab)
- Select opt in with completion of volunteer hours by March 30, 2024. Proper validation of completed volunteer hours needs to be submitted to the main office to Marrianne Swift (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 30, 2024 or a $600 volunteer fee will be assessed prior to renewal of the following year’s membership.
Volunteer Opportunities at DSC (please click on link for google form sign up):
- Test sessions (monthly): Assist with test applications, assist/coordinate skaters check-in and play music at the test session.
- Used skate & apparel sale (twice a year): Assist in coordination of drop-off and pick-up of sale items and/or manage the sale during one of the dates offered.
- Ice Show tryouts: Check-in skaters and/or play music during the ice show tryouts.
- Gardening (May to October): Weed, prepare, and plant annuals in all outside beds on DSC’s property.
- Skate Detroit (July): Our annual competition with opportunities in announcing, awards, food donations for the judges, hospitality room for the judges, ice monitors, registration and transportation.
- Each hour volunteered at Skate Detroit will be worth double in value.(i.e.:1 hour at Skate Detroit equals 2 hours, so 6 volunteer hours at Skate Detroit will fulfill your annual 12 hour total volunteer requirement.)
- Sunshine Skate (LTS competition) (June 11, 2023): Inaugural competition with opportunities in announcing, awards, food donations for the judges, hospitality room for the judges, ice monitors, registration and transportation.
- Adult Skating Camp
- Annual Summer BBQ
- Fundraising Committee
- As additional volunteer opportunities become available, they will be added.
- Ice Show volunteering does not count towards your total volunteer hours, with the exception of tryouts.
- Once you have volunteered, please submit your hours using the Volunteer Hour Submission form. Your hours will then be approved by the appropriate committee chair.